Sunday, May 22, 2011

How do we keep the "spark" alive after we've just had a baby?


                   
This afternoon I received an email from a reader that asked if I could give her some advice on how to keep the romance in her marriage alive after their baby was born. Not only has this couple become new to parenthood, but they also have very conflicting schedules. I responded with the following:

Thank you for writing! Trying to figure out how to keep the romance alive in a marriage with a new baby is definitely a hard thing to do no matter what anyone says! Couples all over the world have this problem, so know that you’re absolutely not alone.
         
Heck, even my parents had this problem. When I was born my father worked grave yard shifts and my mother worked days. My mom would work all day and then she and I would wait up until my dad got home from work so that we could spend some time with him. I still can’t figure out how she was able to change a newborn’s schedule so easily! I don’t recommend this method, however, because that would be unfair for you to have to stay up, compromising your rest, and your baby may become an adult with severe insomnia like I did :).
        
I have found that even the simplest things can reignite the romantic flame in a relationship. How about taking a few minutes to have a glass of wine together or share a dessert at home? While these activities don’t take long, they can help the two of you to engage in stimulating conversation in just minutes.
        
How about sending him a flirty, sexy text message or email while he’s away? I know from personal experience that this helps even in long distance relationships when my boyfriend and I were hundreds of miles apart!
         
I have included a link to a website that I would love for you to check out. On this website, new mothers (and even some new fathers!) write in and give little tidbits of advice that have worked for them to keep the romance alive in their relationship.


http://www.babycenter.com/0_parents-say-keeping-romance-alive-after-kids-arrive_1400897.bc?page=1
Please let me know what you’ve decided to try and how it worked. I would absolutely love to hear about how you’re doing! Good luck!

Viola

Photo taken from Security World News. 

No comments:

Post a Comment